Botox, a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium A. Botox, can relax the muscles on areas of the face and neck that cause wrinkles associated with facial expressions. Treatment with Botox can cause your facial expression line or wrinkles to essentially disappear. Areas most frequently treated are: a) glabellar area or frown lines, located between the eyes; b) crows feet (lateral areas of the eyes); and c) forehead wrinkles. Botox is injected into the muscles with a very thin needle and is almost painless. You may feel a slight burning sensation while the solution is being injected. The procedure takes about 15-20 minutes and the results last 3-4 months. With repeated treatments, the results may last longer.
These are some contraindication to having treatment:
- Significant autoimmune or neurological diseases.
- Currently taking aminoglycoside antibiotics.
- Pregnant or lactating.
These are some possible side effects:
- Some initial swelling, pain, itching, discoloration, bruising or tenderness at the injection site. You could experience increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site if you are on aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil. These reactions generally lessen or disappear within a few days but may last for a week or longer.
- As with all injections, this procedure carries the risk of infection.
- Individual results may vary.
- You can purchase Arnica over-the-counter at the drug store to help alleviate bruising.
For medical reasons, photographs will be taken and documented in your confidential patient file.
Please call if you have any questions prior to your appointment.
- Avoid lying down for 3-4 hours following treatment.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for four hours after treatment.
- Avoid facials and saunas for four hours after treatment.
- Facial exercise in the area of treatment can be performed (frown, raise your eyebrows, squint and smile) for 1-2 hours after treatment. - Avoid manipulation of the area the first hour after the procedure.
- If you need to apply make-up, use only a gentle touch and avoid rubbing the injection areas.
- Tiny bumps and marks at the injection sites usually disappear within an hour.
- If you experience bruising, you can apply over-the-counter Arnica cream to speed healing.
- It usually takes 3-5 days for an effect to be seen, and up to 14 days for full treatment effects to appear. - Results last 3-4 months on average.
- Regular treatment is necessary to maintain results, optimally done just prior to Botox wearing off.